Monday, February 15, 2010

Wedding, Temple, and the Goodbyes Begin

Well I know it’s not in the title but it did happen and I think that I will just take a paragraph or two to tell about last week’s community service.

On Tuesday Lucas, Jason, and I went to the little school that we had gone to the previous week. We had prepared some lessons and divided up who was going to teach what and for how long. As we were driving there Lucas decided that he didn’t want to do anything so I ended up with double. I taught Tongue Twisters and Telling Time. We taught Modeums 1,2 and 6 (grades 7,8, and 12). I also helped Jason with his activity. Jason had created a list of various things falling under 6 categories and he would say a word and they would have to rush up to the board to choose the right category. The group that got the most points got a prize. It was fun.

On Wednesday we went to a couple of elementary schools. We taught colors and shapes, we did some fruits and vegetables, worked on the alphabet and counting, taught them “Duck, Duck, Goose” and “The Hokey Pokey”. They were all so cute and so interested in learning. They would repeat everything we said and were very good at listening.

Alright so now I will get to the title stuff.

Yesterday, Valentine’s Day, I went to a wedding. In Thailand it is customary to invite everybody, even people you don’t know, to everything. Bashayer was telling me that she went to a funeral for the cousin of her host sister’s friend’s friend. They didn’t know the person but they went anyway. The same was for the wedding. I don’t know how they knew or if they knew the people getting married but we went.

First the monks come and bless them and do some sort of ceremony, we only caught the end because we were late. Then the bride and groom sit on stools with these tables in front of them and flowers in front of the tables, while people come and bless them and pour water on their hands. They are connected by two circles of flowers on their heads. All the adults had to go and bless them and pour the water on their hands, I don’t know why.

After everybody had finished they took some pictures with people (in Thailand they take the wedding photos several weeks before the wedding). By this time it was about 12 PM and time for lunch. We went down the block (about ½ a block) and there were tents set up for us to sit and eat. They served us the same food that is served at every event (and I mean every, they never vary it up even a little). I by now know the things I do like and don’t.

After we finished eating we had to leave because Meow had an Ortho appointment and then she had to meet with Eddie (one of the English teachers) for private lessons because she did not pass her English test to go to the US next year. I ended up sitting in the English Corner reading for 3 hours because my host mom told me to go with her and then one girl was an hour late so they had to go an hour longer.

Last night after the store was closed we went to a celebration at a new temple (not that they need another, there are like 6 on my way to school as it is). For the celebration they set up the whole place like a party/celebration thing just like they did for every other party I’ve been to here (food and carnival games included). The only difference was the temple and the monks. The temple had 9 balls all around it and you had to go and put the gold foil on each one. After the ceremony they put the balls into the ground as some sort of religious thing. Then you go around and do various other religious things like give money, give some things to the monks, pray, and some other things I couldn’t figure out.

After they had done all the religious stuff we walked around and the kids played various games. They won a pink pillow playing darts (no idea what they plan on doing with it). They bought food (no surprise since Thai people are always eating snacks but never meals). We did various things for about 2 hours then decided it was time to head home.

Now the last topic spreads a little and is not totally about things that have been happening but things that have been running through my head.

So Friday was Martin (the boy from Alaska), Jason, and Lucas’s last day. It was really sad to have to say goodbye to them. I won’t ever see Jason or Martin again and I don’t know if or when I will see Lucas again. It made me really sad to realize that this year is really starting to come to a close. I have formed some great relationship, ones that I hope to continue in the future, but I don’t know if I will ever see these people again.

It’s really sad to look at everything that I’ve done this year and realize that I haven’t done much for being here 6 months. I have just over 3 months left and then this amazing year is going to be over! I have one week left of school which means one last week with my friends. Today I went to my last Monday market. Tomorrow will be my last Tuesday Pad Thai. Last week Thursday was the last time I will ever wear the gym uniform. So much has happened in the last few days and so much more is going to happen in the next few. I can’t believe it’s all coming to a close! It feels like I just got here and like I’m finally finding my place and it all is ending.

Though I am happy and excited about summer and everything it’s going to bring, I’m sad for what I am losing. As much as I hate and complain about the uniform it’s going to be weird to not have to put it on every day. It’s going to be lonely at home with no friends to laugh with or to eat lunch with. I’m going to miss them teasing me or laughing at how I pronounce words. I’m going to miss Sai running up to me after the weekend and giving me a hug and kiss on the check. I’m going to miss Mo and Boom. I love spending time with them, talking with them, and just having fun and goofing around. I’m going to miss them speaking to me and Thai and me trying to reply and the thrill I get when they say Chok Dee (good job)! I’m going to miss the lunch lady’s smile because she knows exactly what I want without having to ask (I go there every day and get the same thing). I’m going to miss the English Corner filled with all the farang; I’m going to miss talking with all the teachers and laughing over stupid things I did or that happened to me. I’m going to miss Benchama and my life here!

No comments:

Post a Comment