Monday, November 2, 2009

Monday November 2nd, 2009

So I made it through the first day of this crazy week, and it wasn’t fantastic! I had a great day. The beginning wasn’t so great (getting out of bed is always the hardest part of the day). I got up 15 minutes late, someone was in the bathroom so I went back up stairs and then I was running even more behind. Last week I got scolded for wearing even a little make-up so this week I’m not going to risk it (maybe next week) so that saved some time. I threw everything into my bag and went downstairs for breakfast. They were having eggs, but they had some garlic pork for me. As soon as we had finished eating we had to leave. My bag is so heavy, if I don’t get a backpack soon my left arm is going to fall off! On the way to school there was a traffic jam so we took a 10 minute detour to get to school and ended up being 15 minutes late again (just one day I’d like to be there before the ceremony begins). By the time I sat down and had the computer turned on my friends were coming to get me for home room.

Homeroom is very interesting. It is basically designed to check and make sure everyone is following the rules. The lady in charge first made all the girls put their hair down and get in line. She then ran her hands through their hair to make sure it was not layered and then she checked for signs of hair dye. After that they had to be checked for nail polish and nail length. There are only three boys in my class of 30 or 40 so they can get away with most anything. Once everyone passed or failed the check we left for math. I am doing an independent math so I truly don’t have to go but it was better than sitting in the English Corner plus then I got to spend free period with them. During Math some of the girls tried to talk to me but I couldn’t understand them and it was very frustrating. I understood some words but I couldn’t figure out what they meant. During free period they helped me by writing the Thai on my flashcards. I also learned their names. The girl who went to Texas is called Mo, then there is Fern, Kow, and Pow (I think that was her name, but I can’t remember for sure).

Third period is English, but the teacher never showed so it was another free period. Fourth period is Chinese for them so I have Thai, but Gayoon was gone so I couldn’t ask her who my teacher was so I talked to Mom instead. Fifth period is lunch. I had some sweet noodles and some chicken with rice. After lunch was supposed to be Thai but the teacher was gone so we had a free period. We went to the library and they worked on homework and I practiced my writing.

7th and 8th period was Botany (I couldn’t remember what it was in English until after we got there). They had a test the first half and then the second they just had to write their name on a pot for next lesson when they plant some shrubs. We were done 40 minutes early so we went to the cafeteria. I watch Boom do her homework, I wish I could write like she does. Later Mo joined us and we talked. At 4 when school was out I went to the English Corner. Meow came in after a few minutes and told me she was going somewhere until 4:45 and I was supposed to wait there. At one point I had to go to the bathroom so Peach decided to go with me and one of her friends wanted to come, in the end five of us went (girls go in groups here too). Meow came back early and my host mom came and got us.

After we left we ran some errands. There were so many pretty pieces (I forget what they are called, I’ll ask before I finish this blog), I wish I would have bought one. They are for Logatone festival tonight. We release them into the water. They are banana tree pieces and leaves with different flowers and in the middle is a candle. My host family has a few here so I am going to take pictures before they put them in the ocean.

Once we got home I changed and went on the computer to use my Rosetta Stone. Tonight we are going to the festival at 8:30 and won’t come home till after midnight and I have to get up early tomorrow because Meow wants to stop at a store before we go to school, so we have to leave 30 minutes early. If people thought I was tired today (which they did, many people commented that I didn’t smile today) then tomorrow I’m going to be a walking zombie.

Sometime today Gayoon must have talked to my host mom because she told me that Gayoon said they have to speak Thai to me. All night she has been giving me instructions in Thai and is completely surprised that I understand what she wants me to do. I am having a great day with understanding, I think it’s because I’ve been doing it all day so my brain is in that mode. I like it; it makes me feel good about myself! I like it even more when I can respond in Thai, which I sometimes can!

Today was a great day, I hope tomorrow is just as good!

(Sorry about not putting on more photos, didn’t get the chance tonight with leaving for the festival so early)

No comments:

Post a Comment