Sunday, August 16, 2009

There is only One Rule to Driving in Thailand

There is only one rule to driving in Thailand and that is THERE ARE NO RULES!!!!

They drive like maniacs! They drive in the middle of the road or on the other side with oncoming traffic! They don't care about the people on the streets, they get within inches of hitting them! They weave this way and that! There is no speed limit and so they drive however they like and they never use their signal! Oh and did you know that a Stop light is a suggestion!

They have many mopeds here and the drives are crazy! They donot care about anyone else on the road except themself so they weave in and out of traffic, don't stop and just don't care about anyone or anything! The girls ride on the backs of the bikes side ways and don't hold on to anything and with the weaving I don't know how they don't fall off! They don't wear helmets, I don't even know if they know what those are!

Every aspect of Thai driving from the moment I got into my first vehicle in Thailand has been nightmarish! Driving anywhere scares me! They drive on the other side of the road (sometimes) and so everything is already a little backwards for me, but in all the places I have been to, I have never seen such horrible driving! The streets are smaller than in Europe and they are crowded with people who don't care that cars are coming and people park where ever they like, even if it is behind another car! I watch today several times as people would have to move other peoples' cars in order to get out! I don't know how people manage, but if this was the way the US works, we would all be dead!

My personal suggestion for everyone is to avoid driving in Thailand, leave it to the professionals!!!

2 comments:

  1. I bet you're glad you took drivers' ed now so that you can be even more aware of all the infractions. Perhaps after being influenced by all the drivers there you will need to retest upon your return. OR perhaps you've found your calling in life - Thai Driver's Ed instructor. That wouldn't be too stressful! (Godmother)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAH!!! Everything about their driving makes me nervous! They do so many things that in the US are illegal and they aren't just illegal for no reason but for safety reasons! In the back seat of their vehicles there are no seat belts and they use pick up trucks in order to take large groups of people where ever they want to go! Young children ride in front of parents and behind on the mopeds and when turning everything we know is forgotten! They say to say that things are not good not bad just different, but this is one thing that I BAD! I can't wait to get home to normal driving, but maybe by then I will be blind to all of the infractions (hopefully not though because that would be bad!)

    ReplyDelete